COOLANGATTA, Australia (Thursday, November 17, 2009) – With the 2009 ASP Women’s World Tour coming into the business end of the season in Hawaii, all eyes are on the race for the ASP Women’s World Title.
At present, six surfers remain in contention for the crown:
1 – Stephanie Gilmore (AUS), 21, reigning two-time ASP Women’s World Champion
2 – Silvana Lima (BRA), 25, 2009 ASP Women’s World Tour Runner-Up
3 – Sofia Mulanovich (PER), 26, former ASP Women’s World Champion (2004)
4 – Coco Ho (HAW), 18, 2009 ASP Women’s World Tour Rookie
5 – Chelsea Hedges (AUS), 26, former ASP Women’s World Champion (2005)
6 – Melanie Bartels (HAW), 27, standout heavy water performer
Gilmore can secure her third consecutive ASP Women’s World Title at the upcoming Gidget Pro Sunset Beach, should she make the final and the following scenarios unfold:
- If Gilmore wins Sunset, Lima needs a 2nd and Mulanovich is out.
- If Gilmore finishes 2nd at Sunset, Lima needs a 3rd, Mulanovich needs to win and Ho is out.
- If Gilmore finishes 3rd at Sunset, Lima needs a 5th, Mulanovich needs to win and Ho needs to win.
- If Gilmore finishes 4th at Sunset, Lima needs a 7th, Mulanovich needs a 2nd and Ho needs a 2nd.
- If Gilmore finishes 9th, 7th or 5th at Sunset, then Lima, Mulanovich and Ho are all in contention for the crown.
For Hedges and Bartels to remain a part of the mix, they need for Gilmore to f at the last two events with either a 17th or 13th at Sunset so that they along with Lima, Mulanovich and Ho keep their World Title campaigns alive.
If the 2009 ASP Women’s World Title is not sealed at the upcoming Gidget Pro Sunset Beach, the crown will be decided at the final event of the season, the Billabong Pro Maui presented by Hawaiian Airlines.
The ASP Top 17 are slated to their Vans Triple Crown of Surfing campaigns this week at the Vans Womens Hawaiian Pro (an ASP Specialty event), before getting back to business at the Gidget Pro Sunset Beach and culminating at the Billabong Pro Maui.
To watch the world’s best women surfers LIVE, check out vanstriplecrownofsurfing.com.
For more information, log onto aspworldtour.com.