SNOW/ SURF/SKATE TRIATHLON, APRIL 4TH – 11TH, 2009
Ultimate Boarder is gearing up for this year’s snow, surf, and skate solo and team triathlon style competition. Over 90 athletes are confirmed to compete April 4th to April 11th in Big Bear (April 4th, 5th) and Ventura, California (7th to 11th).
Notable names include Dave Downing, Kalani David, Tosh Townend, John John Florence, Omar Hassan, X-Games Champ Andy Macdonald, Christian Fletcher, Todd Richards, Tom Curren, Steve Caballero, Shaun Thomson, Christian Hosoi and defending Ultimate Boarder champion, Aaron Astorga will test their boarding skills on snow, surf, and the skate ramp to be crowned the Ultimate Boarder Champion. View the complete athlete roster here: ultimateboarder.com/event-athletes.php.
Detailed UB Schedule:
April 4th and 5th: Stage 1 – Snowboarding Competition, Bear Mountain, Big Bear Lake, CA
Confirmed professional snowboarders include Dave Downing, Mads Jonsson, Shayne Pospisil, and Todd Richards. Competition will take place 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Ultimate Boarder, in conjunction with Bear Mountain, offers a top-notch slope style course. Athlete registration, practice and kick-off party at THE SCENE will take place on April 4th. The solo and team snowboarding competition will take place the morning of April 5th.
April 7th – 9th: Stage 2 – Surf Competition, “C” Street, Ventura CA
Confirmed professional surfers include Tom Curren, John John Florence, Cheyne Magnusson, Mike Morrissey, Jason “Ratboy” Collins, Christian Fletcher, Dillon Perillo, Shaun Thomson, and Killian Garland.
UB has a three-day surf waiting period for this one-day competition. The surf leg will be call on Friday, April 3rd.
Free surf lessons for kids with Surf Happens. Time/ date TBD.
Thursday, April 9th, “Fly in the Champagne” movie premiere starring Andy Irons and Kelly Slater.
Two showings at 7:00 an 8:30 p.m. will take place at the Century 10 Ventura Theatre (555 E. Main St.) $5 admission.
TransWorld SURF After Party at The Good Bar following the last screening.
Friday, April 10th: Stage 3 – Skateboarding Competition, Ventura County Fairgrounds and a music performance by REBELUTION.
Confirmed professional skaters include: Christian Hosoi, Omar Hassan, Adam Taylor, Tosh Townend, Steve Caballero, and Andy Macdonald. Competition on custom made 60’ mini ramp/half bowl and vert ramp section.
Rebelution will take the stage on Friday night. This Isla Vista grown band has rocketed up the iTunes charts and is on a national tour. Rebelution will be supported by up and coming Soul Majestic and local favorite Sublime cover band, Emilbus.? Music 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Family Fun Zone: Reptile Petting Zoo, Bouncer, Arts & Crafts, Relays, Gymnastics, Bubbles, Parachute Games, Ball games (April 10th and 11th)
All Ages Entertainment / Live Music. Ventura County Fairgrounds. Tix $10 – $15 (Ages 10 and Under: FREE).
Saturday, April 11th, 2009: Stage 3 – Skateboarding Competition and Awards Ceremony
Free skate lessons for kids with 8-time X-Games Gold Medal Winner Andy MacDonald from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m.
Ultimate Boarder Easter Egg Hunt at 11:30 a.m.
Tickets are $10 – $15 (Ages 10 and Under: FREE).
Ultimate Boarder after party with DJ Mark Moreno at Candlelight (211 E. Santa Clara Street, Ventura) starting at 10pm. Admission is $20, all ages.
Additional Friday and Saturday (April 10th and 11th) Highlights:
• KIDS FUN ZONE: Arts/Crafts, relay races, parachute, bubbles, face painting, reptile petting zoo, ball games, gymnastics/tumbling. Time: 10 p.m. – 5 p.m., Friday & Saturday.
• KIDS SKATE PARK: Bring your skateboard to a huge indoor skate zone for kids. FREE (with price of admission). 10 – 5 p.m. Friday & Saturday.
• SKATEBOARDING CLINIC W/PRO ANDY MACDONALD: 10 p.m. – 11 p.m., SATURDAY ONLY. FREE WITH ADMISSION.
• FOOD/BEER GARDENS
• LOCAL ARTISTS
• MERCHANT BOOTHS
• TEAM COMPETITION: Due to popular demand, UB added a team competition division allowing three (3) individuals to form a TEAM. $8,500 prize purse.
TEAMS INCLUDE: Hurley, Volcom, Sector 9, LOST, Legend Teams and MORE
• A GROM, A GIRL and 3 SETS OF BROTHERS: UB is proud to announce the first female athlete to compete in the UB solo competition. Lyn-z Adams Hawkins will be taking on the boys! This year’s event will also feature 3 sets of brothers competing in the solo competition…long live sibling rivalry! Finally, we have an 11-year-old ripper (Kalani David) taking on the big boys.
• 1 HOUR TV SHOW WITH PRIMETIME PREMIERE ON FUEL TV: We are proud to announce a partnership with FUEL TV that will bring the UB event to 26 million homes and reach up to 40 million homes in syndication. The hour-long show premieres on June 22, 2009 at 8:00 p.m.
Sponsors for the 2009 Ultimate Boarder event include, Title Sponsor – Coast Body Wash, 180 All Natural Energy, Indo Board, Amtrak California, Bear Mountain, FUEL TV, AdUp Displays, Soul Ryde, Wahoo’s Fish Tacos & Newcastle.
About Ultimate Boarder
Ultimate Boarder is a one-week competition to find the athlete who can conquer the art
of surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding. Ultimate Boarder was created in response to the growing popularity of these sports, and as a way to promote healthy athletic lifestyles among young athletes in a positive and competitive environment that grooms role models and heroes for our country’s next generation. To register for the Ultimate Boarder Championship, and for event details, rules and eligibility visit ultimateboarder.com.